Friday, August 30, 2013

Artist Statement

This might seem a bit dated, but I remember a time when Friday nights were for going to the movies. I miss the feeling of actually being excited enough to go to see a film. It's been at least three years since I've gone to see one in an actual theater, as it's hard to justify spending twenty dollars on a ticket, ten for popcorn and another five for a drink.
I want people to be inspired again...moved enough to the point that they take a subway across town and spend a full day's pay on a movie. We don't need anymore blood, guts or explosions... We definitely don't want narrative arcs so complicated that people have to enter dreams to save the world. I wan't my work to be a return to the classics from Hitchcock to Tarantino. Yet at the same time I want it to be different, and new.
I want suspense, and thrills and excitement, but without all the cliched let's rob a bank, or the creepy guy who owns the motel is going to kill everyone. I want to bring the thrill and suspense that once enticed people to flock to the movies, but focus on important subject matter. I want revolution, strife, famine to be in the public consciousness, and the news just doesn't make it exciting enough for everyone.
My work will attempt to inspire interest in issues that people wouldn't normally connect with. Last year the 'Cony 2012' campaign was started. Albeit however flawed and inaccurate, it raised public consciousness on an issue that few Americans knew about. My work will aim to enlighten and inform, but hopefully without the need of using a five year old child to sway public opinion (although it was rather an effective way to persuade viewers to rally behind a cause).

No comments:

Post a Comment