Friday, August 30, 2013

Artist's Statement

My work is in film - a passion started way back when I was 3, and saw animation for the first time - The Nightmare Before Christmas, if we're to be specific. Then, something gestated in me about being somehow outside of a norm - boxes were boring, but so fascinating to me. From then on, I started an interest in human interaction - specifically, the way we talk, who we talk to, and how we do it - not to mention our reasons as to why. Non verbal communication is my primary focus in film - how a mere look can convey more than a book. I prefer showing this minute conflict under grand pretenses - to show that life is large and grand to those who are living, even in the simplest of circumstances. 

If I were to list influences, I would point you to the works of John Cassavetes and Xavier Dolan, as well as Chasing Amy-era Kevin Smith. Additionally, I'd also point to the world of comics. Specifically, John Romita and Steve Ditko - their design greatly influenced my work. I believe this is because they could create drama from the everyday, with careful control and beautiful imagery - their style became almost as, if not more influential than, the aforementioned directors. 

My prior filmography, in part, can be found at this address. I believe that the images there will represent me as an artist better than anything I can write here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment