Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Artist Statement


 I am an aspiring filmmaker hailing from Hell's Kitchen, NY. I started in film back in 2003 in this program named the Neighborhood Film Academy, which lead him to Downtown Community Television Center's (DCTV) Pro-TV program. At Pro-TV, I had the opportunity to co-produced the short documentary, "Voices: Hearing The Homeless", which screened at several festivals. In 2006, I won the HBO/New York International Latino Film Festival Future Filmmaker Award, which lead to four-year position at the New York International Latino Film Festival. Currently I am pursuing my Bachelors under the CUNY BA program and also working as a freelance video editor.

My goals are several: one is to be either a working writer or video editor. The second is to own my own company, specializing in production, post-production or distribution. The reason why I’m aiming to run my own company is because one of the difficulties I have with my own work is getting a solid audience to view my work. I know that also tends to be a difficulty for a lot of my peers. Nothing pains me more than to see a great project go to the wayside, because they lack the resources to make it happen. I would love to be able to help other friends and colleagues find the resources and audience they need when they don’t have these elements readily available.

Personally, I like to write comedies, specifically sitcoms (I love Larry David's work) and humor writing (similar to Dave Barry), even though I’m looking to expand genres. In my work, I tend to explore the issues of Latino Identity and Masculinity, primarily because these two issues have affected me personally. I want my work to allow people to question these two issues and their roles in society. 

I truly look forward to getting familiar with my classmates and their work! 
Very excited to see what we produce! 

No comments:

Post a Comment