Thursday, September 19, 2013

Artist Statement


Our universe is in a constant state of change. As humans we are both creators and subjects of change. We grow, we build, we destroy, we die, we decay. As a musician and filmmaker, I explore and reproduce the feeling of  such as life and death, fresh and rotten, new and decayed, young and old, etc.

In life's path we may experience sudden change that shakes our world and cracks our foundation. These moments strike us with violence, cruelty, and ruthlessness. In my music, I juxtapose calm, clean grooves with aggressive, dirty riffs to represent the sudden movement of a mood from bright to dark, as it happens in life. Not only do I represent this change of emotions with contrasting major, minor, and dissonant chords, but also with contrasting strumming patterns, contrasting dynamics and contrasting lyrics. I was born in Argentina but half of me is Bolivian. It is because of the latter half that I am greatly influenced by the folk music of the Andes region of South America. I incorporate the soul and pulse of Andean folk into my music, fusing it with the heaviness of rock and roll.

When making films, I've become obsessed with the aesthetics of decay. All in the universe is victim of time. All withers away, all crumbles, color washes out, points dull, etc. Juxtaposing such imagery of weathering with imagery of bright colors, flawless surfaces and strong structures creates a feeling of life passing by or a powerful and unavoidable claustrophobia of knowing nothing escapes the passage of time. For example a young boy with new bright colored clothes and shoes sitting by a homeless man in a cloak with swollen feet in a weathered subway station.

Taking examples from mine and other's lives, I recreate both positive and negative emotions through the use of sounds and images. These can lead the viewer or listener into reliving a moment in time or into observing or taking in an experience they have not yet lived,  dwelling on the fact that nothing remains the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment