Friday, October 4, 2013

Artist statement

In a world so crowded and connected, how does someone stand out? How can individuality thrive when the culture in our society dictates to act a certain way? I think just having an attitude of wanting to make a change or wanting to work on something in your own way is a path that could lead to truly unique journeys. I may not know what I want to make of my life yet, but I do like the learning process that comes with this doubt. The connections of the world that are available now only push further the amount of knowledge to take in. My name is John Gutierrez, and I want to learn how to present my ideas and views in as many ways possible.

I was born and raised in Queens, New York. When I graduated high school, I enlisted in the US Navy as an electrician and spent 4 years on the USS George H W Bush, an aircraft carrier homeported in Norfolk, Virginia. My reason for military service was to earn a college opportunity so I could go to college with help from the government, but I sometimes go back to Virginia as a reservist to do my old job.

When I applied to Hunter College, I was planning on being a Computer Science major. After realizing that the Calculus I had to take was easier than the computer programming involved in that major, I switched concentrations and decided try Media. The choices that this department offers seem broad which gives me more opportunities to see if one particular field would be my niche.

Most of the little experience I have with handling media either comes from me messing around on a computer with Photoshop to post something I find amusing online, and one digital photography class I took when I was a senior in high school. It was one of the few classes I enjoyed,

Keywords: Music, aesthetics, guitar, vintage, graphics, animation, classic, design

No comments:

Post a Comment