Friday, October 4, 2013

Artist Statement

As a student who is pursuing a career in journalism, photography has morphed from a hobby into a vital tool for journalism. With the field of journalism rapidly changing, many journalists are expected to become more than just news hunters and writers. In addition to writing and reporting skills, knowledge in photography, video production and graphic design are a must for the modern journalist.  
With a press of a button you can freeze, preserve, or capture, whichever you prefer, a moment in time. Without the use of words, the camera can produce a story or create a story that is not aligned with the photo's original context. In high school, I picked up analog photography and 35 mm film as a hobby, with no understanding of photography, teaching myself the ins and outs of the camera. Much like photography, the art of video and filmmaking can take storytelling even further.

As I progressed through my studies at Hunter College, I had been exposed to projects and other popular mediums.  One of those many mediums is video.  When I first had entered photography, I wouldn’t have imagined myself working with video.  What attracted me to the medium was the additional elements that are present, such as sound, and cinematography.  With this medium, I have much more control of how a story is told and delivered.  While words can be weaved into a story, they can only go so far, in terms of story telling.  Visuals for written pieces mostly rely on the readers, and how much they take away from the piece.  As a journalist, I believe that no matter the story, there is always a story to tell, and with the addition of video production, I have greater means of conveying these stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment