Friday, November 22, 2013

Artist Statement August 30, 2013


I first fell in love with the possibilities of film in high school when I realized that through the lens you have the ability to create your own world. I began to think outside the box creating characters out of ordinary everyday items, thinking up stores with emotions and experiences far beyond my own/. I would then draw what I thought they looked like,give them back stories, give them personalities I began to create their world. From this hobby my love for cinema and animation grew. Today I create sculptures, illustrations, drawings and paintings and films to entertain the imagination inside us all.  I want to transport my audience into a world all their own with hopes of inspiring them to look into their own creative self giving them the ability to escape the everyday stresses. I use aspects of popular culture and relatable elements so that my audience is drawn in and are able to identify with my work.

I focus mostly on film, sculptures and drawings because I find it the easiest mediums to manipulate in order to correctly convey my ideas. I also find that these mediums are the best way to be simple and true to form. My favorite medium to work with is film due to its  ability to show the raw intensity of the world in action. Sculptures and drawings allow you to dig in and get every unfaltering wrinkle, every eerie shadow and all the fine lines that make up a subject. These mediums call for a realist who has the ability to look past whats right in front of them and create something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment