Friday, November 1, 2013

Hasan Erdal - Sound Walk

I live in a small secluded town on Long Island, I've never really given much thought to the sounds that encompass my quiet, sleepy little town. Last night at the late hour of 10:00 PM, I snuck into the park near my house (which closes at 9:00). Before arriving at the park I had a short three block walk down mostly empty streets. I closed my eyes and listened to the sounds around me and was shocked by just how much I normally missed. There was the sharp crackling howl of Autumn wind as it barraged the tree lined block. I heard the branches shift and sway with each new gust of wind. The dried leaves crackled as they were shaken from the branches. I heard my feet, step after step hitting the concrete sidewalk and echo against the adjacent houses. I heard the stoplight at the corner click as it changed from red to green. There was the siren song of a lonely cat crying into the night. Each shriek from it getting louder and louder as I moved closer to it. There was a lonely car whose tires squealed as it raced up the hill. The engine's roar faded as it moved away from me. There was music coming from the house on the corner, sounds of laughter and unintelligible conversation going on in the background. There is always something to hear, but I never take the time to notice it. I usually walk with my headphones on and dismiss what is around me, this experience however, has taught me to once again listen to the sounds of my environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment