Friday, November 22, 2013

Soundwalk: Midtown, Chelsea, and Greenwich Village


I started at Macy's. I wanted to see if the Christmas display was up. Unfortunately, it was not hanging. I wandered downtown, towards the Greenwich Village. I passed the many wholesale shops that sell items like wigs, jewelry, fragrances, and small trinkets. I heard languages from different places coming from within those shops. A harsh african dialogue between a married couple or the bitter-ness of a korean manager ordering around this young mexican worker, these sounds blasted from the doorways and display of these stores.

I arrived at the upper-border of Chelsea, I strived down 8th Ave. to the sounds of loud gay men stumbling in a drunken-stupor. Along with the music blasting out the last few gay bars that are still in business in Chelsea. Once the gay mecca in New York City, Chelsea is now the painful reminder of an older gay generation trying to keep up with the a new culture.

I continue walking down to the arrive in the Greenwich Village. Jazz bars are everywhere, a soft loud saxophone explodes its sounds into the streets. I hear tourist laughing, chatting with their friends, and smoking cigarettes. Inside these jazz clubs, I hear the excited loud voices of their patrons singing along to their favorite hits.

My experience in this sound walk, reminds me that New York City is a great melting pot, always changing and churning. Incorporating every aspect of the beings inside it to its goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment