Saturday, November 2, 2013

Ethan Kaplan Soundwalk- Madison Square Garden

A visit to the world's most famous arena is always a special one. It is even more special when I haven't been there for 6 months because the Knicks are not in season. This past week, the new season began and I was on my way there for the first time in a while. As i exited the subway at Penn Station I instantly heard chants of "Go Knicks!" mixed with the high pitched brake noises of incoming subway cars. As I walked up the ramps to exit the station I could hear the sounds of police whistles getting louder. As I exit the station I am standing at the entrance to the arena. There are sounds of taxi's wooshing by me and ticket scalpers yelling "Knicks Tickets!" There is an ambience of conversation all around me as friends and family meet eachother before entering the arena. I begin to enter the arena and I see to my right a band dressed up in Knicks colors are playing the drums. As I continue walking towards the entrance doors, I arrive at security. The noise begins to lower and now I can only hear "No Bags this way!" I follow this call and I am searched and patted down. After I pass security I enter a big room where all of the entering Knicks fans gather as they wait to scan their tickets. All I hear at this point is hundreds of different conversations all conflicting with eachother, which sounds like a lunchroom cafeteria. I scan my ticket and make my way up the escalators. After several flights of stairs, I arrive on my level and walk through the vendors. "Hotdogs" "Beer" are yelled at me as I walk by different vendors. I also hear the knicks game being played on TV's in the background. I finally arrive at my gate and walk up the stairs to enter the crowd. When I get to the top of the stairs I hear a big chant and I know it's time for Knicks basketball.

No comments:

Post a Comment