Friday, November 1, 2013

Soundwalk

As I was walking around in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn, I pass by the heart of the "second Chinatown" of Brooklyn. This was around 5-6PM and this was the time when people would get off the train and go to supermarkets to pick up groceries for their dinner or future meals that week. I would hear someone shouting out "1 dollar, 1 dollar!" for the groceries that were put outside the markets. As I entered the market, there were people talking around me in all different languages. Cashiers would be shouting out prices, baggage ladies would shuffle the plastic bags and throw people's groceries in them, some people would be shouting out what fishes or meats they want, etc. When leaving the supermarket, the environment would be much calmer. I can hear the gush of wind, the noise that the buses make when they stop and start, the noise of the tires that the car makes as they rush through the green light, and people stepping on fresh crispy leaves on the ground. Then I would pass by the park around the supermarket. There would be elderly men playing chess and checkers and you wouldn't hear a single peep out of anyone. All I could hear were the pieces being put down as it was someone's turn to go for the game. Then along comes a barking dog, which ruins the moment of intensity of the game. As I walk past the market and the park, the environment would be quieter and all I can hear is the gust of wind as the night approaches.

No comments:

Post a Comment