Sunday, November 17, 2013

Sound walk

What I hear,


I didn’t know what to expect when I did this assignment, and to stay for an hour in the same place it was kind of difficult for me. Well, I started walking around Chelsea; I worked around there, so I thought I could spend 30 minutes walking. I walked from Union Square to 9th avenue and through Chelsea market. When I was in Union Square I heard definitely the city noise, cars, people talking on their phones, skaters, doors opening and closing from some stores. I didn’t hear anything out of normal until I got to 14th street and 8th avenue where it is full of tourist, well, it is New York I expected that. Different languages, and people like me trying to walk trough all that people. I could hear their steps, slow step compared to people walking to work.. When I walked trough Chelsea market I had a different experience. Even more tourists and talking in Spanish, Russian, Japanese, Italian and I don’t know what other languages. A lot people looking for a place to eat and in this market of course, there are a lot of places. One restaurant was offering some cheese and people asking about it. Everything was kind of normal I guess, so I walked to Chelsea piers I sat on a bench, I had the river in front of me and I could hear the river and how the water hit the wall of the pier. Some birds trying to get some fish, the bells of bicycles behind me were ringing and the tires were making friction with the ground. It was the quietest time I had I was able to hear the wind which I am not usually aware of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment