Monday, November 4, 2013

The Soundwalk - "Subway"



Almost every day in every week, I take upon the subway train to go to school at Hunter College, but I never stop and carefully listen to the sounds that surrounds me. Soon, I decided to meditate, a ear listening exercise, a way to increase my awareness of sound, which encircles me,  my own personal aural realm, the environment that is consists of music, timbres, tone, loudness, and frequencies. Every morning, noon, and night, I hear different sounds every time. And, every time I take the train, I hear multiple noises. Noises of people, train, music, conversations, and doors. 

I close my eyes and listen. I suddenly hear more things than I usually often do. I hear the sound of train screeching along the railroads, a sound that I'm familiar with, but never realized how the loud the screeching noise can be. I hear the noise of rhythmic beat of the train, like a heart, beating away along the tracks. I hear the noise of baby crying as the mother consoles her own child, telling the baby to shush quietly. I hear people conversation, talking about things that is none my concerns, but I hear their voices in which one is deeper than the other with a much higher voice. Each train stop, I can also hear the sliding doors, opening and closing. I hear can the footsteps of people walking in and out the train. The distance between where I'm standing and the headphones that are on someone's ears, I hear music that seems far away but also nearby.

No comments:

Post a Comment