Friday, November 1, 2013

Spooky Soundwalk

I took a walk through West Soho/Husdon Square on Halloween night. It was leaving my office, which is 7 or 8 blocks from the F station, and headed through the crowds. This neighborhood is pretty new to me, as I just began working there this month. It was Hallow's eve, which made this new neighborhood even newer to me. Hudson Square is usually reserved for the professional types; the start-up techies, the real estate agents, the fashion designers, etc. But tonight, all the was transformed. There were cop cars everywhere, their engines running as they huddled in circles and talked game plans. It was just 4:30 pm, and the parade was a few hours away, but there was clearly a feeling (and sound) of unease. There were little kids yelling "trick-or-treat," followed by oogling moms and dads admiring their adorable off-spring.
 Despite all this, this was an erry absence the general traffic's sound that I am so accustomed to hearing, no taxi honks, and no screechy breaks.

No comments:

Post a Comment